I had an interesting time playing with the electrics, which
consist mainly of a fuse bank and lots of wiring! Some of the
wires to the head lights had to be replaced because they had fried,
as well as some in the engine bay. A lot of replacement spade
plugs were used (and broken when trying to fit the little
blighters!), contacts cleaned and scraped, ignition turned on
and off quite a few times. I replaced the battery with a brand
spanking new one which, while it was expensive, has a lifetime
guarantee with it; basically I have it down on paper that so
long as I keep the battery in my Beetle, and I still own the
car, I can claim a new battery when this one dies on me.
The windscreen wipers were the cause of much consternation
and unnecessary disassembly and reassembly, only to find I'd
broken the bushes on the wiper motor which are expensive things
to replace. In the end we discovered that the wiper motor
worked after all and that it was the wiper arm mechanism which
was rusted solid! A liberal dose of PlusGas released them
beautifully. A replacement wiper motor was acquired from a scrap
yard at relatively little cost. Whew!
The previous owner had fitted a windscreen squirts pump
connected to the water bottle, which was originally pressurised
by the spare wheel, except the motor in the pump gave up on us
after a short while so again we had to go to a scrap yard and
eventually took a pump and bottle off and modern car, I think it was a Ford.
Wired up and fixed in it worked a treat.
So the lights worked, the windscreen wipers worked, even the
number plate light worked; I was overjoyed when I got
the interior light to work too! It only works if you turn it
on manually though, I think the contacts for door-open activation
are too far gone.